Blog Flux MapStats: Stats and Web Counter
]]>
Google
 
Web perl-tips.blogspot.com
 

« Home | What's a Web Server? » | Managing Non-Standard Modules » | A Rundown of the Perl Tips To Watch For » | Perl Tips Blog Starts »

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Program In Perl or PHP? Perl As A Fast Protoyper, PHP For Web Application Development?

Some of you may have noticed that I mention both Perl and PHP quite often in my tech blogs. You might be wondering why I use two scripting languages instead of focusing on just one. The truth is, I like them each for their different strengths. I've always liked Perl for its incredibly powerful pattern-matching and its ability to create complex yet useful data structures rapidly. What used to take me as much as one thousand lines of C code takes me 15-100 lines in Perl. However, PHP in newer versions has some of the same power of Perl. As well, because you can imbed HTML and PHP code chunks together, PHP allows you to rapidly prototype Internet applications. But even when I was co-authoring a book on PHP web development, I found myself using Perl to do rapid pattern matching, as well as writing small client/server applications. It might simply be a matter of longer familiarity with Perl for pattern matching.

That said, most of the Internet-related problem-solving that I'll be doing in my tech blogs will be done in Perl (which, yes, I've mentioned before). However, blog pages aren't the best place to post large or even small quantities of program code. I find myself spending more time making sure I've escaped any special characters in my code that might cause an XML/Atom feed to barf (Blogger.com's blogspot.com domains provide content syndication in Atom instead of RSS.) The net result is that the several half-written posts that I have for this blog are just that: half-written. So what I'll be doing in future posts is only show snippets of Perl code (or PHP over on that blog) in actual blog entries. More detailed code will be supplied to you in PDF form that you can download and even use it helps you. So I am hoping to be posting some code here in the next couple of days, maybe even tomorrow.

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://perl-tips.blogspot.com

Technorati : , , , , ,


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 

About me

  • I'm blogslinger
  • From Canada
  • Writer, author, former magazine editor and publisher, amateur photog, amateur composer, online writer/ blogger, online publisher, freelancer

  • My profile
Powered for Blogger
by Blogger Templates
Computers Blog Top Sites